- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup minced onion
- ½ cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 ½ cups (loosley packed) baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup chopped cooked ham
- ¾ cup grated cheddar or swiss cheese
- 1 cup cooked quinoa*
- 7 eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- avocado slices, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously spray a muffin tin with cooking spray (or line with paper liners); set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes until softened. Add the spinach and cook until slightly wilted, about 30 seconds. Transfer vegetables to a large bowl.
- To the bowl with the vegetables, add the chopped ham, cheddar cheese, and cooked quinoa.
- In a liquid measuring cup whisk together the eggs and almond milk. Whisk in the salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture into the bowl with the other ingredients and stir to combine.
- Divide the mixutre evenly between the 12 wells of the prepared muffin tin. (I use my large scoop to make this job quick and easy.)
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, until set. Let cool in the pan for 3 minutes. Run a small rubber spatula or spoon around the edge of each frittata and then remove from pan; serve.
- The Quinoa and Egg Breakfast Bites can be stored in an airtight zip-top bag in the freezer for quick breakfasts.
*This is a great use for leftover quinoa. If you're cooking quinoa just for this recipe, I recommend cooking extra and serving the leftovers as a dinner side dish. About ⅓ cup of uncooked quinoa will cook to make the 1 cup cooked quinoa needed for this recipe.