Recipe by: Making Thyme for My Health
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 2 jalapenos, cored and diced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 15 ounces tomato sauce (preferably no salt added)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Suggested toppings: tortilla chips or strips, diced green onion, cilantro, lime juice, avocado, and/or shredded cheese
- Place all of the ingredients (minus the toppings) into the slow cooker on the high setting. Stir together, cover and allow to cook for 6 hours. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Distribute the soup into separate bowls and serve with desired toppings. Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
To make your own tortilla strips, stack 6 corn tortillas slice them into 1/2-inch wide, 2-inch long strips. Transfer them to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and lightly coat with oil. Bake in the oven at 400°F for 8-10 minutes on each side, until light golden brown. Remove them from the oven, season with salt and allow to cool.